Keeping Everyone Safe
Most of the time at church we are like a big happy family. However, even in very happy families, people can have a bad day and even people we know and trust can upset us. We want to help everyone have good days all of the time. We try to make sure that people who have jobs in the church always behave well and in a way that is helpful to you. We never want anyone or anything in the church to frighten you, confuse you or worry you. It is important that you tell us if something is upsetting you or if you are feeling worried about something that’s happening or something somebody is doing. We have specially trained people who you can talk to and who you can ask for help. These people are good at safeguarding. This means they look after everyone’s safety. Caring for people is a very important part of our Christian life.
The people who can help you are the parish priest or the parish safeguarding officer. You can contact the safeguarding officer Tracey Scoot via firstname.lastname@example.org or the parish priest Revd Alyson Buxton via email@example.com. If you wish to speak to someone outside the church you can contact the diocesan safeguarding team – their contact details are available here. There is also information there about other places where you can get help or advice.
Your Safeguarding Team
- Promoting a safer environment and culture
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with responsibility related to children and vulnerable adults
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse or other affected persons
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns/allegations of abuse and other affected persons
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk
Parochial Church Council of the Parish of Boston
The Parochial Church Council of Boston have agreed to accept as a minimum the House of Bishops’ Policy Statements:
- Promoting a Safer Church; House of Bishops policy statement (2017) [https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2019-05/PromotingSaferChurchWeb.pdf]
- Protecting All God’s Children (safeguarding policy for children and young people, 4th edition, 2010) [https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2017-11/protectingallgodschildren.pdf]
- Promoting a Safe Church (safeguarding policy for adults, 2006) [https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2017-11/promotingasafechurch.pdf]
The full policy can be accessed here.
NSPCC: 0808 800 5000
Stop It Now: 0808 1000 900
NAPAC: 0808 801 0331
Samaritans: 116 123
Family Lives: 0808 800 2222
National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247
Action On Elder Abuse: 080 8808 8141